Re: Interview with Rector of University of Liege

Assuming that not all liblicense followers subscribe to SCHOLCOMM
also, I'll repost the same note I posted there in response to
Richard's announcement:

Rentier certainly deserves to be included among the pioneers of
OA journal publishing, and the mandate he has put in place likely
is the most effective kind that can be used and should be
emulated everywhere. He has little to say about OA for books,
however, except noting that faculty are welcome to submit them
also but are not required to do so. More needs to be done by
leaders at his level to encourage the development of OA for books
lest book content be artificially segregated from journal
content. One such leader is the president of Athabasca University
in Canada, who launched the university press there as a fully OA
operation. Perhaps Richard will interview him at some point in
the future.

Sandy Thatcher