RE: Data-mining Hamlet

This coverage is surprising since Moretti's approaches, at least
as reported here, have been around for awhile.  At the most
recent Digital Humanities and Computer Science colloquium, there
were several variations on his approaches (and lots of different
ways to make network analyses look different from one another),
though one of the underlying currents was to question if there is
anything really to be gained from such crunching, whether really,
it is anything but a toy or will ever amount to something really
substantial.  Obviously, there are a significant number of
practitioners who seem to think there is something there, but the
savviest among them seemed to be careful about how they expressed
their expectations of the new tools.

Obviously, for example, a Shakespeare scholar already knows that
Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern don't speak to each other.  One
prominent DH and Shakespearean scholar, Professor Martin Mueller,
speculated (at the colloquium) that DH computational analysis has
not really offered any new insight, although it has been fun
playing with the graphical representations of the data (...lots
of sound and fury signifying nothing?  How does that line go?)
which has otherwise been knowledge internalized and thunk upon by
scholars, although he seemed committed, perhaps from a sense of
duty or perhaps from a sense of play, to keep experimenting.

Personally, I too find the graphics appealing.  I also think
there may be something to some of the approaches.  Mere text
analysis seems to me unlikely to yield much more than toys,
although the more sophisticated approaches enabled by some of the
xml mark-up projects underway may allow some meaningful depth.
Story analysis could be interesting.  The network analysis
described in this article is one fairly simple approach (see for
comparison the 2 network analyses presented in
http://chicagocolloquium.org/dhcs-program-2010/).

I recently set up a DB for a scholar to do a kind of story
analysis which could end up being very interesting, but I won't
describe it here since she is just getting started -- but I think
the best of these kinds of projects will require a great deal of
scholarly interaction and interpretation in order to "uncover"
the data. (as an aside, this project reminded me of Propp's
formal analysis of Russian fairytales, so I looked to see what
use was being made of his work in a DH context, of course to find
a couple of sites allowing one to build one's own fairytales)

The issue of value, I suppose, must be personal.  As a kid, I
loved books of lists and probably still would if I had more time,
and some of these analyses feed right into that interest.  When
did certain words appear or become prominent in parlance in
newspapers or fiction?  Do we learn anything from such an
analysis?  I think the answer depends on the person who sees the
analysis.  A scholar probably already knew it in some way, but
the use of the analysis could make for a point, probably among
many, in an article or chapter.

As for demonstrating the merit of mass digitization projects, I
think that is already happening in lots of different ways --
among them the fact that students are enabled to close-read texts
(and compare editions) that were otherwise less available (see
some of the reading lists at the Hathitrust). I recently saw an
article (sorry no link since I can't remember where I saw it),
about how there's a movement among foodies to go back to 17th,
18th and 19th century recipes and food preparation techniques.
The source docs enabling this "movement"? Digitized texts now
available for free download.

-Nat