Geological Society of America Preserves with the CLOCKSS Archive

Geological Society of America Preserves with the CLOCKSS Archive
(apologies for cross posting)

The CLOCKSS Archive is pleased to announce that it has partnered
with the Geological Society of America (GSA) to preserve their
e-journals and e-books in CLOCKSS's geographically and
geopolitically distributed network of redundant archive nodes,
located at 12 major research libraries around the world.

By archiving with CLOCKSS, GSA has ensured the preservation and
future availability of their e-journals and e-books. This action
provides for content to be freely available to everyone after a
"trigger event" and ensures an author's work will be maximally
accessible and useful over time.

"The Geological Society of America began publishing in 1890.
Today, earth science research continues to play an important role
in our society, weighing heavily on key issues like energy,
environmental concerns, and our understanding of earthquakes and
volcanoes. We are pleased to work with a partner like CLOCKSS to
guarantee that this important research will be available well
into the future," said Jon Olsen, senior director of publications
at the Geological Society of America.

CLOCKSS Executive Director Randy S. Kiefer adds, "CLOCKSS
welcomes the Geological Society of America's journals and e-books
into the community's archive. Their content is of significant
importance to all, as our awareness of our planet and its
limitations becomes an everyday topic. CLOCKSS has achieved a
rare consensus among libraries and publishers, and we are
grateful to the Geological Society of America for its generous
willingness to preserve its journals and e-books in a way that
secures them for the long-term good of scholars worldwide."

About GSA:

Established in 1888, the Geological Society of America provides
access to elements that are essential to the professional growth
of earth scientists at all levels of expertise and from all
sectors: academic, government, business, and industry.

The Geological Society of America's growing membership unites
thousands of earth scientists from every corner of the globe in a
common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet and share
scientific findings.

http://www.geosociety.org

About CLOCKSS:

The CLOCKSS (Controlled Lots Of Copies Keep Stuff Safe) Archive
is a not-for-profit joint venture between the world's leading
scholarly publishers and research libraries whose mission is to
build a sustainable, geographically distributed dark archive with
which to ensure the long-term survival of Web-based scholarly
publications for the benefit of the greater global research
community. http://www.clockss.org

***