Branch 'campuses' in the Gulf - digest

Dear All,

Thank you for the many responses to my query regarding site
licensing for overseas offices and branch libraries. I a sure
some of you are interested in a brief digest of some of the most
interesting posts, which is given below (extracts only ,
anonymous). This is a selection only, but I thoroughly appreciate
all the replies I received.

To sum up, most academic libraries try to negotiate single-site
licenses, and are very often successful; however, much of their
bargaining power depends on the institutional setup, and the size
of the branch as compared to the main library.

In a few, isolated instances, libraries have had to pay
additional charges (either a small percentage or a full
subscription), or even obtain a separate license. This would
appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

The contributions by non-library members are particularly
revealing: it seems that vendors are much more persistent in
their dealings with hospitals, and private foundations than they
are with universities. That may be a reflection of limited
materials budgets in academic libraries: as one respondent
remarked, vendors would effectively price themselves out of the
academic market if they were to charge universities for every
single geographic location.

All this goes to prove that in our licenses, we need to define
'site' by IP range, and users by their affiliation, not their
geographic location (walk-ins excepted).

Again, thanks to all for your valuable feedback.

Best, Mark

----

DIGEST:

"Our Qatar campus is considered a part of the US campus and we
share access to all of our database subscriptions.  We have one
vendor who insisted the Qatar campus be a separate entity and we
went ahead and separated the Qatar campus from the main
subscription.  We haven't had any probems with ANY other
vendor/publisher.  I would say that each institution has their
own arrangements with publishers.  Whoever told you we all follow
the same formula is wrong."

"We've been able to make the case that our Qatar campus is part
of our University -- their faculty are our faculty, they receive
degrees from us -- with most of our vendors (it probably helps
that the FTE on the campus is only around 400). But we have had a
few stubborn vendors that have refused to see things our way. In
some instances, we've had to sign a multi-site license. In others
-- [...] is the one I can think of off the top of my head --
we've had to have a separate license and purchase an additional
seat for our Qatar campus."

"We are not a university, but we do have offices abroad that work
through our IP (one in Qatar, as a matter of fact).  Many of our
vendors license per IP, but some only license our US sites as a
group, and a few license by individual site which just makes us
tremendously angry.  We usually can't negotiate out of it and we
need the resource, but we make a huge ordeal for them every year
in an attempt to educate."

"The Clinic has a hospital in Florida, outpatient clinics in
Nevada & Toronto, and is building a hospital in Abu Dhabi. These
sites usually are each treated as separate sites with just a few
exceptions."

"For all this, there is the suspicion that the is an evolving
area and that current practice is likely to change especially as
campuses overseas grow and more campuses are opened in markets
that publishers have themselves earmarked for expansion."