From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: 22 May 2011 14:16
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Peer-Editors and Peer Review

I think Stevan is probably right about emphasizing the importance
of scholars serving as editors (rather than "professional
editors") in journal publishing in order to uphold standards of
scholarly excellence. but i would also urge that the system for
book publishing is more complex in this respect as it is a
complicated and dynamic mixture of input from three different
kinds of major players--the publishing house's acquiring editors,
the "expert" peer reviewers chosen by them, and the faculty
editorial boards that serve as the final authority in determining
what gets published at university presses--each of whose
perspectives is important to making the best decisions. I explain
this system in my 1999 essay on "The 'Value Added' in Editorial
Acquisitions" in the Journal of Scholarly Publishing, if anyone
is interested. It can be accessed here:
http://www.psupress.org/news/SandyThatchersWritings.html.

The difference between these two systems of editorial
decisionmaking is ill understood outside of the publishing
industry (and sometimes even within it!), and proposals to
disintermediate the system for book acquisitions in the
open-access environment by relying only on peer review as done in
the journals arena are seriously off base, IMHO.

Sandy Thatcher