Re: Bike sharing and the library

To be honest, and with due respect, this all sounds to me like
not much more than a strong dose of pointless wishful thinking.

Isn't the kind of "brand" you have in mind, and whose salvation
you would apparently like to facilitate, one that hardly any
longer exists except in the perception of those with a vested
interest in preserving for the sake of preservation yesteryear's
credo's, paradigms, and discourses? A symptom of librarian
reactionarism, of a characteristic 'd?formation professionnelle'?

When I encounter your plaint that "Experience and professional
status is only something that colleagues see.", my reaction is
unavoidably: so, what's new? I've never known matters to be
really otherwise. And quite understandably. Why in heaven's name
should library users have any interest in or concern for this
kind of thing? Isn't such a status system something that the
occupational group itself long ago set about conjuring up on its
own behalf, and has subsequently coveted, essentially in the
service of its own gratification, self-esteem, and
identity-construction? (Where's the effective legitimation in the
outside world? Or is librarianship self-legitimating??)

Such has long been the situation. But for more than a century,
until say a decade and a half ago, the professional academic
librarian's worldview (and the concomitant structures and costs)
continued for pragmatic reasons to be quietly tolerated without
further ado. This was nice while it lasted, I guess I can say as
a former member of that group, but the game's pretty much over
now. It's not that that worldview is being explicitly disputed.
(We should be so lucky as to get that much serious attention!) It
is simply out of sync with the way the actual world works -- and
becoming more so every day.

And though it may be the case that many "librarians view
themselves as academics", and you may well "want patrons and
provosts to think of librarians as scholars", the simple fact, as
far as I can tell, is that -- understandably -- neither patrons
nor provosts nor anybody else see librarians in that way, that
they in general never have, are never going to, and have now in
any case less reason than ever before to be inclined to do so.
[I'd probably be prepared to defend the assertion that
librarians' professionally profiling themselves as scholars is,
at least outside their own circles, more counterproductive than
anything else.] And the time for feeling any credible need "to
justify hiring, retaining, and compensating highly trained
academic staff" in an academic library lies firmly behind us, it
seems to me. (At least if you mean MLIS-type or subject-specific
training, as opposed to technical or logistic.)

If we want a smooth transition from traditional academic
libraries, as your (former) "places of scholarship", to the kind
of documentary information infrastructures that the future's
higher education will require (indeed, demand), wouldn't we be
well advised to adopt a somewhat less anachronistic frame of
reference than appears to have inspired this particular Bike
Sharing post?

Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland