RE: open access to dissertations

That's helpful to know, Mike, and I can take some encouragement from these data. However, my own snapshot of one field for Penn State over a much more extended period of time did bear out the statistic that Helmut had given me, showing a 20% to 25% lower sale for revised dissertations than for other titles. I hope YPB will make a habit of tracking these data over time so that we can better gauge how serious a problem this is. Meanwhile though, i can already tell you that fewer acquiring editors are considering fewer revised dissertations for publication, based on anecdotal evidence from conversations with editors at other presses.

Sandy Thatcher

Who is and who is not holding up their end of the bargain by not
acquiring those skull-crushing dissertations? In calendar 2010,
YBP profiled approximately 1980 dissertations, about 3% of the
titles that passed through our approval plan system, and just
over 6% of the University Press titles we profiled. Of these,
1250 were from Trade presses and 730 from university presses.
Most fell into the *Revised* Dissertation group. Of the 102
Unrevised dissertations, just 13 were from university presses (8
from Delft UP).

On average UP titles of all types sold 89 copies. The UP Revised
Dissertations sold an average of 85 copies (Unrevised
Dissertations fared much less well selling just 21 copies on
average). Trade press Revised Dissertations averaged just 39
copies sold (and 9 copies for Unrevised Dissertations).

Routledge and Palgrave Macmillan were the biggest Trade
publishers for Revised Dissertations with just over 100 titles
each (a fairly small percentage of their publishing). Brill,
Springer, De Gruyter, Ashgate, and Peter Lang were also strong
contributors (530 for the entire group in 2010). Oxford and
Cambridge were on par with the top Trade presses. Manchester
University Press (distributed by Palgrave Macmillan), Duke, and U
California also contributed 20-30 titles each to this category in
the course of the year. Nearly 700 of the UP titles were tagged
by YBP Profilers as 'Research Recommended', meaning that they
were high quality and not necessarily too narrow (other tags
would have been used more instead had this been the case).

Judging from 2010 data at least, it appears that academic
libraries are supporting the publishing of revised dissertations
as much as any other UP titles. Of course, this is just a quick
view of one year, so doesn't capture a trend or trajectory.

Mike

Michael Zeoli
YBP Library Services