From: Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@alumni.princeton.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: Wed, April 13, 2011 10:58:16 PM
Subject: Re: open access to dissertations

Are librarians really this short-sighted, or ignorant even? Are
they not aware that some of the classics of various disciplines
were revised dissertations? In my article, I cite a number that i
handled at the two presses where I worked, books that became
pioneering works in their fields, like Susan Moller Okin's 'Women
in Western Political Thought"  or Peter Evans's "Dependent
Development," books that (contrary to Kevin's presumption) were
neither narrowly specialized nor expensive and that ended up
selling well in excess of 20,000 copies.

Kevin may think that these are very rare exceptions. Based on 44
years of acquiring scholarly books for Princeton and Penn State,
i can tell you that they are not. If librarians are making these
decisions about not buying revised dissertations on the grounds
that Kevin imputes to them, they are making a very serious
mistake indeed. I'd like to hear from other librarians on this
list whether they think Kevin has accurately characterized their
decisionmaking.

Sandy Thatcher