RE: open access to dissertations

Really, Sandy, your choice of examples is indicative of where the
problem lies.  Both of these works were published over thirty
years ago.  Times have changed dramatically since then.  Library
purchasing power is a fraction of what it was when these books
were issued.  It is easy to dispute any particular decision when
one is not in the position of having to make that decision, but
librarians must decide the best way to spend those very limited
dollars.  For each revised dissertation that is bought, some
other deserving book is not purchased, and the decisions are made
in that balance, not in isolation.

I do not know if librarians would buy some modern day equivalent
of these examples; to know that we would have to also know what
they would not be able to purchase as a consequence.  What I
suggested, and what I believe to be accurate, is that librarians
often have to exclude revised dissertations from approval plans
precisely because they so often involve this difficult decision
about relative value.  It is not ignorance or willfulness, it is
simply the necessity of dealing responsibly with the money we are
given in a market where we can purchase but a fraction of what we
would like to buy.

I do not understand why the message that we do not have unlimited
money, so that we can simply evaluate each book on its own merits
and buy all that are worthwhile, is so hard to communicate.  I
suppose one reason is that recognizing that fact would involve
acknowledging that it is the pricing policies of publishers,
albeit a different group of publishers from those who usually
publish revised dissertations, that are partly responsible for
the situation.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Duke University