Re: open access to dissertations

Sandy's research confirms what librarians are usually perfectly
ready to admit, that they often must exclude revised
dissertations from approval plans.  The problem with the
Chronicle article, however, is that it correctly notes the effect
but selects the wrong cause.  I doubt any librarian excludes
dissertations because of open access ETD repositories or even
because of ProQuest availability.  Being based on a dissertation
is simply a surrogate, in approval plan profiles, for weeding out
books likely to have a very high cost and a limited audience.  As
monograph budgets shrink, libraries simply cannot afford to buy
books that will have only very specialized readerships and will
sometimes cost over $100 per title.  If such purchases are to be
made at all, they have to be made in response to an expressed
need, not included in a blanket approval plan where very limited
returns are permitted.  And from this perspective, information
about the scope of revisions, will it would be helpful, is
probably not determinative.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communications
Duke University, Perkins Library