ALPSP Effective Journals Marketing, London, 2 June 2011

Highly interactive, small group tuition (max 20 delegates)
Last few remaining places:

Effective Journals Marketing
Thursday 2 June 2011, London

Overview:

New business models are being introduced and technology is
creating new marketing opportunities and challenges. It's hard to
stay on top of all the changes and to know how best to apply
marketing theory in this dynamic environment. This course meets
these challenges and offers delegates a hands-on experience in
the form of an interactive workshop. The course will use a
variety of methods, including case studies, to examine some of
the hot topics (such as Open Access) in the marketplace and
review how to apply marketing techniques to generate sales and
submissions.

Programme:

*  Changing business models: their impact on marketing activities
and messages
*  Changing products: what do customers want? Market research
techniques
*  Changing customers: new markets, personalisation and community
building
*  Changing organisations: new competitors, brand, positioning
*  Extending the marketing toolkit: search engines, RSS, OpenURL,
interlinking, viral marketing

Learning objectives - by the end of the course delegates will be
able to:

Understand the environment in which they operate as marketeers
and the impact this has on their strategies; use the full
marketing toolkit in the most effective ways; assess customer
needs, and make appropriate changes to their products and
marketing messages.

Who should attend:

This course is an ideal next step for marketing professionals who
have attended the ALPSP Introduction to Journals Marketing course
or have had several years' experience of putting these principles
into practice but are now looking to expand their marketing
skills.

Delegate Comments:
'Very useful for those with some experience in marketing and goes
beyond publishing industry. Great interactive course, the
knowledge can be applied to many industries outside publishing,
insightful comments and knowledge from the tutor.' Lena Jefimova,
Cambridge University Press

'During the morning session we learnt a lot of basics which were
then developed through the afternoon.  I could tell the
difference in my work - I certainly feel more confident now.'
Sophie Boullin, OECD

'Good introductory starting point with some more advanced
elements thrown in. Great to be able to suggest topics in advance
which were heeded.   Comprehensive slides and info packs with
excellent break-out sessions.' Mike Hallworth, Wiley-Blackwell

'Pre-course questionnaire was useful as topics were incorporated
into the course.  Excellent case studies and notes.' Ali Hill,
Taylor & Francis

'Very well-tailored to my level, easy to understand, highly
relevant and interesting.  Pre-course questionnaire was a good
idea as course seemed to address everything.   Very much enjoyed
the day and learned a lot of valuable tips.  Excellent!' Samantha
Herbert ,Taylor & Francis

'A well-structured course covering all aspects of relevance to
any marketeer!'  Rebecca Jeeves, Royal Society of Chemistry

'Very good food for thought. Loved the working with groups and
exploring ideas - good confidence boost.'      Sapna Choudrie

Further information at
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334938

Other 2011 Courses:

Getting the Most from Journal Publicity:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335248

Creating High Impact Marketing:
<http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335357>
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335357

Web 2.0: Online communities and social media:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335233

Project Management for Publishing:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334916

Barbara Holmes