permissions for Mosby publications

Greetings, all -

We have a faculty member in our College of Dentistry who wishes
to use 5 illustrations from a 1996 clinical dentistry book
published by Mosby and owned by our library.  He attempted to
request permission from Elsevier to use these illustrations in an
article he is submitting for publication, but he was told that
Elsevier could not identify the book and did not own the rights
to the Mosby book, and he was actually instructed to contact the
American Medical Association (!).  Has anyone else experienced
this situation?  A later spiral-bound edition of the book was
published in 2000, but it is out of print and has only limited
availability, so that avenue appears to be a dead end. The LWW
1984 reprint of the 1976 edition is also out of print, and I
don't know that these same exact illustrations were in that
version; regardless, it was also published by Mosby. We feel that
we have made an honest attempt to obtain permission and that Fair
Use should kick in, but the faculty member, understandably, would
appreciate a more definitive response. The book in question (our
edition is loose-leaf) is:

Clark's clinical dentistry /

James W Clark;  Jefferson F Hardin

1996 Rev. ed. 1996. English  Book 5 v.

(loose-leaf) : ill. (some col.), forms ; 27 cm. + index. St. Louis :

Mosby, ; ISBN: 0815122241 9780815122241

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Best regards,

Stephanie Nicely Aken