Preservation news from Gale and Portico

News release of possible interest:

Gale Commits Three More Collections to the Portico Archive

Follows Portico's Successful Preservation of 80 Million Files
from Eighteenth Century Collections Online, The Making of Modern
Law and Eight Other Gale Collections

Farmington Hills, Mich. and Princeton, NJ, March 23, 2011 - Gale,
part of Cengage Learning, and Portico, part of the not-for-profit
organization ITHAKA, today announced Gale will be preserving
three additional digital historical collections with Portico.
This follows the completed ingest of 10 Gale Digital
Collections-including 19th Century U.S. Newspapers, The Making of
Modern Law: Primary Resources and Eighteenth Century Collections
Online-and represents over 80 million files (75 million pages of
content), which doubled the size of the Portico archive in just
one year.

"We are excited to expand our agreement with Portico," said Frank
Menchaca, executive vice president and publisher, Gale. "With
more and more content moving online and being produced in
digital-only format, we realize the importance of ensuring our
unparalleled content and collections will remain accessible to
our customers even in the unlikely event of a service
disruption."

The three additional Gale collections being committed to the
Portico archive comprise over one million files, and include
Dictionary of Literary Biography, Something About the Author
Online and Literature Criticism Online. With the addition of
these collections, the total number of files being preserved from
Gale in the Portico archive will reach over 82 million,
representing an achievement of scale for Portico. Collections
preserved in 2010 include:

* Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) and ECCO Part II,
New Editions
* The Making of Modern Law: Legal Treatises
* The Making of Modern Law: Trials
* The Making of Modern Law: Supreme Court Records and Briefs
* Making of the Modern World: Goldsmiths'-Kress Library of
Economic Literature
* Sabin Americana
* 19th Century British Library Newspapers
* 17th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
* 18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
* 19th Century U.S. Newspapers

"Portico's successful ingest of the first 10 collections,
totaling over 11 terabytes, is a great accomplishment in our
history," said Eileen Fenton, Portico managing director. "It
represents the progress we have made in the scalability of our
workflow. We are delighted to continue this work with Gale to
ensure the long term preservation and permanent access of this
vital content for its customers."

In accordance with Portico's D-Collections Service model, Portico
will make the content available to Gale's customers under
specifically defined circumstances called "trigger
events<http://bit.ly/hqPgFw>." Should the content no longer be
made available through the Gale system or from other sources, or
if Gale were to experience an extended service interruption,
Portico would make the content preserved in the archive available
to Gale's customers. There is no charge from Gale to its
customers for this service.

About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching,
learning and research solutions for the academic, professional
and library markets worldwide. Gale, part of Cengage Learning,
serves the world's information and education needs through its
vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and
consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is
best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data,
addressing all types of information needs-from homework help to
health questions to business profiles-in a variety of formats.
For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.

About Portico
Portico is a not-for-profit community-driven digital preservation
service for e-books, e-journals, and other scholarly e-content.
To date, more than 12,000 e-journals, nearly 70,000 e-books, and
39 d-collections have been committed to the archive. Portico is
supported by more than 700 libraries worldwide and over 120
publishers representing more than 2000 scholarly societies and
associations. Portico is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization helping the academic community use digital
technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance
research and teaching in sustainable ways. For more information,
visit www.portico.org or www.ithaka.org.

Media Contact:
Kristina Massari
Public Relations Manager
Cengage Learning
(203) 965-8694
kristina.massari@cengage.com

Marita La Monica
Senior Manager, Marketing Communications
ITHAKA
marita.lamonica@ithaka.org