RE: Assistance with disturbing audit clause

Eleanor - the first thing I'd look at is your state's
confidentiality of library records' law.  We are not able to
provide that information here in NY.  I had a similar (but much
smaller) incident several weeks ago. We are just beginning to do
streaming video, with access through our course management
system, Moodle.  The paragraph in the license said we had to give
the vendor unlimited access via username and password TO our CMS
for the period of the license (3 years).  Additionally, we had to
put the username / password on the signature sheet.

After I received the contract, I emailed the rep and said - no,
this was a deal breaker; we weren't going to do that. Oh, she
said - I didn't know that was there; just cross it off or I can
send a new one. I asked for a new one. This new wording was
modified so that access is for a much smaller amount of time. Now
schedule B says: "access to online learning system to verify
appropriate use of Licensed Material. This can be a temporary
access".

My sense is that your vendor was burned by non-legitimate usage
in another venue; you might point out that 1) you do maintain
accurate records for your own purposes, (2) your usage has never
gone beyond what is reasonable, and you don't appreciate being
lumped in with others - or some such language. Perhaps using your
phraseology of 'turning it off at the pump' would get their
attention?
Judy

Judith K Schwartz
Director of Library Services
Trocaire College - the Mercy College of WNY
360 Choate Ave
Buffalo NY 14220-2094

Please include my message in your reply.