Assistance with disturbing audit clause

I am grappling with an Ebooks license that contains a new AUDIT
clause that I have never encountered in another license in my
more than 14+ years of negotiations.  We have subscribed to
Ejournals & Eproceedings from this publisher for years and abided
by all terms with no incidents of abuse.

Basically XYZ Publisher is requiring that we maintain accurate
records concerning our use of their ebooks (examples: usage logs,
ids of Authorized Users, IP address, and proxy servers) for 1
year following usage AND MOST DISTURBING that "in instances where
there is sustained misuse of the eproduct that cannot be
resolved" my institution is required to provide records to
Publisher for audit/review or permit XYZ Publisher to come into
our institution (with 5 days notice) to audit and inspect our
systems and records.

Needless to say this is a complete non-starter for us on so many
levels not to mention the  implied insult to our institutional
integrity and processes that Publisher has no confidence in our
professional ability to solve problems and/or manage information
assurance/security processes on our network (And, just "what"
constitutes "sustained misuse"!?).  I have been successful in
getting them to alter some of the original harsh wording but even
so, it still does not pass Library, Legal, or Information
Technology review at our institution so none of us will sign off
on it.  Publisher insists they need recourse for situations we
cannot resolve locally (hmm, I thought that was already covered
in the turning it off at the pump portion of the license!)

Has anyone on the list encountered such a clause and have you
successfully negotiated it out of such license or how have you
dealt with it?

Thanks,
Eleanor

Eleanor S. Uhlinger
University Librarian, Dudley Knox Library
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey CA  93943