RE: Student's view of books vs online

Hi All

Chris is quite right - books can be out of date (therefore,
inaccurate) before they're published.

But it goes further than merely being out of date.  If your
education was anything like mine, you were probably brought up to
believe (whether stated or not), that books could be trusted.
(Of course, it was only when one came across texts like "Mein
Kampf" that we realised books could lie just as easily as
anything and anyone else).

With the Internet, my impression is that the strength of the
books amongst our generation still holds, with the Internet being
the place "where anyone can put any old rubbish."  But the
problem is that we lose our healthy scepticism.  Here's a
wonderful article by Zick Rubin who found himself recorded as
dead on the Internet.  No matter how much he tried to correct it,
it wouldn't go away.  The problem was that his death was recorded
in a book, and you can't argue with a book.

The title of the article is "How the Internet Tried to Kill Me,"
but I think he missed the point - the original book 'killed' him
- the Internet simply followed the tradition of referring to the
book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/opinion/13rubin.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212

Regards

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education