Re: Persee in danger. Please support it.

As much as I have understood from the outside, the University of
Lyon 2 has argued that it is not for a local university to
support a national program. This situation arises in a new
context for the French Universities where they now each have to
plan for their budgets autonomously and locally where before it
was planned at a national level. Until then, the University
received a budget dedicated to Persee from the Ministry of Higher
Education and gave some more support mainly in the form of
infrastructure. It is now asking for Persee to be wholly
supported at a national level, which might eventually be done by
the CNRS (the French national research institution, already in
charge of the national platform for Open Access, HAL).

The logic seems quite sensible, on a sole economic analysis but,
according to Persee, the decision has been taken very suddenly
and without previous discussion, thus putting the whole project
in danger. The support from the University is supposed to cease
in May, and no viable solution has been proposed yet. The
petition might help for the best solution to be found, the main
risk in the end being for the Persee team to be dismantled and
thus losing a precious expertise.

This awkward situation has yet one advantage:  to raise awareness
on the necessity to find sustainable economic models for such
useful Open Access initiatives, as this has been recently shown
by the new economic model for ArXiv or by another French
initiative, OpenEdition/Revues.org which has very recently
proposed a new economic model for the libraries, Freemium (a
combination of free access for the users and premium fee services
for the libraries).

Annaig Mahe
lecturer,
Urfist de Paris