RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

BC Electronic Library Network  has developed our own Model
License (the language may sound familiar as this is based on
research including examining other model licenses):
http://www.eln.bc.ca/view.php?id=1537

All of our major vendors have signed a version of this license.

As Peggy and others have pointed out, part of the problem is
vendors not understanding how academic libraries work. For us,
there is the added complexity of how library consortia work in
general, and how BC ELN works in particular. To streamline the
process of how we go about educating vendors who would like to
begin to work with BC ELN (or expand offerings), we have
developed a web page specifically outlining the process for
vendors:
http://www.eln.bc.ca/view.php?id=1597

My personal opinion is that scholarly communication is in a
process of transition, and that the transition will continue for
some time. For this reason, although standard licenses and
initiatives like SERU are most helpful and should be pursued,
these should be viewed as temporary measures. Any individual
organization may have unique needs that would require a unique
model license. Also, not all products or vendors are the same. A
publisher, for example, can grant blanket rights that may be
difficult or impossible for an aggregator whose products contain
resources from many different publishers. The rights to full text
that we seek may seem strange to a vendor of a citation-
only database.

The best licensing in existence for scholarly communication,
IMHO, is CC licensing, as this simplifies understanding of how
materials can be used. CC licenses are used by
subscriptions-based as well as open access publishers. Of course,
this does not help when we are licensing resources from vendors /
publishers who do not use CC licenses. The reason that I bring
this up is because all of us who work with vendors at any level
can play a useful role in helping them to understand the current
and evolving needs of scholarship, so that they can develop
practices which will help them to survive and thrive into the
future.

best,

Heather G. Morrison
Project Coordinator