RE: Open Access Citation Impact Advantage: weight of the evidence

Hi All

> What about when there is no evidence?  What about when you are
> doing something new, so there is no data to examine?  How about
> when you have to take a plunge on gut feeling, which is the
case
> for all innovations?

Yup, sounds like the starting point for a lot of research and
innovation - the starting point _only_.  You have a gut feel
about something, maybe anecdotes, patterns seem to be emerging,
maybe personal experience, maybe even just pure speculation ("I
wonder if..."), and then you discover that no-one else seems to
have noticed it, and there just aren't any published data.
That's when you take the risk and do the research.  Until you've
done that, however, it remains speculation.  If you want to forgo
all the research and make a leap into the unknown (build that
better mousetrap) - that's also ok, as long as you know that the
greater leap, the greater the risk.  Nothing wrong with that -
again, however, until you make that leap, you have nothing,
except thumb-suck.

> What happens when you try to take a
> measurement too early, before the data has come in?

Then you take the risk.  In the case of OA and citations, the
data exist.  No doubt, new data will come in all the time, and
the evidence _may_ change, but until that happens, that's what we
have.

Whether we should discuss OA as a replacement or not is another
topic entirely - I'm not prescribing the debate that 'should'
happen.  And I'm not sure that a broad sweep of the hand
dismissing the entire conversation as pseudo-science helps
terribly much, either.  Fact is, evidence on the relationship
between OA publishing and citation was sought and found.

Regards

Ken

----

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education