RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

Hi Peggy,

I certainly believe that we should be pro-active in asserting our
own interests by employing our license when negotiating with
vendors. This is our standard practice for our provincial
consortium.  We have had a fair amount of success in using our
model licenses when negotiating consortial agreements for OCUL
(Ontario Council of University Libraries). You can find our model
licenses at:
http://www.ocul.on.ca/licences_info/view.php?dbid=195 Look under
'Products'

We have a number of agreements with ebook providers, journal
publishers and others, where our license has been applied, with
minimal changes negotiated with the publisher. This process has
kept us in the drivers' seat.  Since we have a local hosting
infrastructure for both ebooks and ejournals (Scholars Portal -
over 8,000 full-text journals and 250K ebooks loaded . . . see
http://spotdocs.scholarsportal.info/display/sp/home) this process
is essential to our strategy and long-term success, re
preservation, integration, and access issues. We also integrate
various services such as link resolution and ILL in our Scholars
Portal service...it has evolved enormously since inception ten
years ago. To my knowledge, we have the most evolved and
comprehensive set of services and collections that are locally
hosted and managed by a consortium.

Cheers, Tony