RE: Peggy Hoon on licenses

I have been involving library services for 2 years only.  What I
have noticed so far about the practice here is the vendor sent
the license to us and request us to sign the license.  Recently
we purchase a Law database and were also sent a license.  I
reviewed the license terms and ask them to amend only a
definition so that it will cover what we are expecting.  The
response from the dealer(s) is "It is a standard license used
everywhere in the world and is amendable".  I insisted that the
term I referred to must be amended by any means as it does not
comply with our environment.  They finally added the description
as an attachment to the license, but still complaint that many
famous universities in ASEAN region are using the license with no
problem...

I would say that this is not the first time I experience such
situation. And I would like to read more inputs about this issue
and found that the dicussion regarding this topic is very
helpful.

Best regards,

Panyarak Ngamsritragul
Prince of Songkla University (Thailand)