RE: SAGE rolls out rewards program for all journal reviewers

David is aware of how journals work from his days at Elsevier.
Editors (and editorial boards) are very important to publishers
for the reasons rehearsed in this recent correspondence and in
spite of what some librarians think publishers are very aware of
this fact.

Oddly enough a senior editor of a journal has more control over
the way the journal is marketed and the way the editorial
processes are organised if he is the editor of a journal owned by
a commercial publisher than he or she is should the journal be
owned by a learned society.

Most editors in my experience are much keener to showcase the
impact factor of their journal than to say anything very
descriptive about peer review mechanism as a selling point to the
best potential authors.

However David is right in suggesting that I exaggerated.

I have reviewed the submission instructions for some of the
journals I was publisher of until May.

Here is an example of an important journal which is offering a
little more than others and a little less than some. For some
other journal double blind reviewing is offered and it is
explained and others explain less.

Leaving aside statements about clinical trials and about conflict
of interests you have to go fairly deeply into the guidance for
authors to find the following:

"3.4. Blinded Review

All manuscripts submitted to XYZ will be reviewed by two or more
experts in the field. Papers that do not conform to the general
aims and scope of the journal will, however, be returned
immediately without review. XYZ uses single blinded review. The
names of the reviewers will thus not be disclosed to the author
submitting a paper.

3.5. Suggest a Reviewer

XYZ attempts to keep the review process as short as possible to
enable rapid publication of new scientific data. In order to
facilitate this process, please suggest the name and current
email address of one potential international reviewer whom you
consider capable of reviewing your manuscript. In addition to
your choice the editor will choose one or two reviewers as well"

I would suggest that this sort of information is about all you
would normally get and indeed more in some ways. There are of
course journals which are very helpful in this respect
particularly very major biomedical journals which are in a
special category.

If potential authors wanted more, for example about the criteria
used for the refereeing process and about how decisions are made
by editors, they would press for this or only submit to those
which give more detail. I do not think they do press and (in the
case of XYZ) they are likely to want to be published by a journal
like this one because it is ranked first in its subject field.

Anthony