Re: Open Access Citation Impact Advantage: weight of the evidence

Heather,

As a doctoral student, you may do well to read deeply into the
sociology of science, for it is there that you will find answers
to the questions that seem to befuddle you. Specifically, you
will find the concept of *social stratification* which explains
how scientific authors are concentrated at research universities
along with the resources (equipment, grants, trained peers,
graduate students) and world-class research libraries required to
service them. It makes a lot of sense and explains the lack of a
citation (but not readership) effect reported in the rigorous
studies.

-Phil Davis