New BASE version in BASE Lab

Dear colleagues,

to keep in touch with the "dramatic growth of Open Access" we are
happy to announce a new test  version of the OAI-Search-Engine
BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search Engine, www.base-search.net) in
our BASE Lab. The new version is developed on Lucene/Solr instead
of FAST/Microsoft and has a VuFind-Search-Interface, which you
can try here directly:

http://baselab.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/?l=en

The FAST index was pushed to a limit last year, but because the
harvesting of repositories continued, the test index in our BASE
Lab contains about one million documents more. Some repositories
are not included in BASE Lab for technical reasons.

New repositories will be included in the new system only, please
understand that we need some time for that; index update happens
not on a weekly basis yet. There is also new BASE-OAI-PMH blog
for those, who want to participate from our experience in
metadata harvesting:

http://ekvv.uni-bielefeld.de/blog/baseoai/

Unsurprisingly the FAST software works a little different from
Lucene/Solr. At this stage, there is no multilingual search
(using Eurovoc Thesaurus) and no lemmatization for different
languages in Lucene. We have included the Porter Stemmer, but if
someone gives us the money for example the "Rosette Linguistics
Platform", we would be much happier ;-)). Of course there are
some new features, like sending results to an email-address or
RSS-Feeds.

In the next few months we want to finish the migration but for
now we are looking forward for some feedback.

About BASE:

BASE is the name of the multi-disciplinary search engine for
scientifically relevant OAI-Sources which was created and
developed by Bielefeld University Library.  BASE is one of the
biggest OAI-Search-Engines and includes some 25,5 million
documents originating from more than 1.700 sources

BASE Search:
http://www.base-search.net/

BASE Lab
http://baselab.base-search.net