Re: SAGE rolls out rewards program for all journal reviewers

The message below provides a welcome acknowledgment of the
contribution made to the quality of academic journals by the
academic community world-wide. The cynic in me wonders whether
the timing of the announcement has anything to do with the
announcement of an enquiry into the peer review system by the
Science and Technology Committee of the UK Parliament, but it
would be ungracious not to thank Sage for this gesture.

The serious point is that the value of the contribution made by
the academic community to journal quality needs to be brought
into open debate. This is not to dismiss the value of a
publisher's paid editorial staff in maintaining quality, but the
financial value of time and expertise by unpaid peer reviewers
has for too long been a hidden vital part of the journal business
model. Recent work by JISC Collections has shown the financial
value of the contribution made by UK academics, and if these
costs were to be extrapolated world-wide and built into
publishers' business models, the entire journal publishing
industry would collapse. The cost of peer review would be too
high to be recouped through journal prices. It would be good to
know the value of the free access for peer reviewers Sage have
built into their spreadsheets, but no doubt we shall be told that
this is confidential information.

Many peer reviewers are happy to give their time to undertake
peer review without any payment, and some use it as a way to keep
in touch with the work of their peers. Nevertheless their
employing institutions may have an interest in the time spent on
peer review, and currently universities receive no acknowledgment
or benefit from the contribution made by their researchers to the
journal business model. The basic point is that more openness is
needed about the cost and value of peer review. The system is
generally recognised to provide an assurance of quality, although
greater openness in the way the system operates could prevent the
occasional academic scandal when the system fails.

Fred Friend