Re: A Useful Clarification of Harvard's OA Fund

One point that I have not yet seen in this discussion: is
Tetrahedron's article processing fee overpriced? I would argue
yes, very.

If Tetrahedron is charging $3,000 per article, while the American
Physical Society is charging $1,500 for their new OA journal
Physical Review X, and Nature is charging $1,350 for their
forthcoming OA journal Scientific Reports, and both Springer and
Wiley have announced competitive lower prices on their new OA
journal suites (compared to their hybrid journal prices), then
perhaps Tetrahedron has priced themselves out of the emerging OA
market - which in the long run does not bode well either for
Tetrahedron or its publisher.

I would recommend that Harvard researchers take advantage of the
opportunity to self-archive Tetrahedron articles in DASH, and NOT
consider paying the Tetrahedron APF, on the grounds that the cost
is excessive.

To speculate a little: is it possible that this trend toward more
affordable article processing fees is an early indication of the
success of COPE (Compact on Open Access Publishing Equity)?
Restricting COPE funding to fully OA journals appears (to me) to
be helping to inspire the creation of new affordable OA journals.
In the long run, this is what will create the new, affordable OA
system of which Darnton speaks.

Some of the present players in the scholarly publishing system
are obviously leading in the transition, while (not too
surprisingly) some may be lagging behind.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctoral Candidate, SFU School of Communication
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com