Re: A Useful Clarification of Harvard's OA Fund

Hi Ann

That's a good question and I don't think I can answer.  I have to
say that I am neither an expert in nor spokesperson for HOPE,
just passing on what is in the public domain.

HOPE gives details of how they split multi-author papers, and if
all the authors are in the same institution this would be
relatively simple.  See:

http://osc.hul.harvard.edu/hope

But it is easy to imagine a paper in the arts and humanities that
does not result from a grant and is co-authored by two or three
authors from two or three institutions.  What is harder to
imagine is any publisher wanting to deal separately with all of
the authors, so ideally there should be some mechanism in place
to bring together the payments.  I don't know if there is
currently such a mechanism within HOPE.

(Unless in the long-term institutions come to the conclusion that
for the amounts of money were talking about it is easier just for
the corresponding author's institution to pay the full amount and
that, within the rounding errors of university budgets, it will
all average itself out!  Do we have an idea of the scale of the
issue - the number of multi-institutional papers that don't
result from grant-funding?)

David