Re: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

I think Derk Haank's remarks were provocative, perhaps
deliberately so.  I just blogged about this at the Kitchen:

http://bit.ly/eEwmzo

The real question is, depending on where you sit, what do you do
about this?  I am not aware that the expression of moral outrage,
however justified, has made much of a dent in trading practices.
Indeed, I am not aware of any strategy currently being tested
that is likely to change the nature of the current marketplace.
New ideas are needed.

Joe Esposito

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Diane Grover
<grover@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> The University of Washington has been and continues to experience
> exactly what Ivy Anderson warns in her excellent posts.  Budget
> decreases, mid-year rescissions, and threatened further cuts have
> left us with our backs against the wall.  To borrow from Ivy,
> we've already hit the proverbial iceberg.
>
> The big deals have been priced based on historical subscriptions.
> If we still were able to maintain our own subscription lists, we
> would have been cancelling journals that are included in bundles
> for the last several years. But the bundle deals insist on zero
> to minimal cancellations, percentage increases, and even require
> adding titles the publishers start up or take over from others.
> If costs go up every year, and our revenue goes down, there is
> clearly a sustainability problem.

<snip>