Re: A Useful Clarification of Harvard's OA Fund

David,

I fear that you and Stuart are misunderstanding my point about
Darnton's  (mis)calculation of journal costs to Harvard, its
library and its COPE  fund.  Indeed, I argue:

"Given the guidelines for the COPE signatories, many of whom
refuse to cover publication charges when the author has a grant,
libraries could technically save money if they require their
faculty to pay more of the freight of scholarly publishing,
although this is simply a form of shifting -- not diminishing
--costs.

Stuart Shieber's counter-post is simply an affirmation of this
claim.  HOPE pays nothing because it would require Harvard
authors to pay their own publication fees and the library can
keep its COPE funds untouched.  This is another problem that I
point out in an earlier post (http://j.mp/amqdV3). A library fund
that sits unused is not doing anyone any good.  Claiming that
unspent funds is a success is like claiming that the government
is succeeding by not spending its citizen's taxes.  It simply
makes no sense.

-Phil Davis