AACR Selects Access Innovations for Indexing on HighWire

(see: http://highwire.stanford.edu/PR/AACR_AccessInnov.pdf - for
full version)

The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) has selected
Access Innovations as its semantics partner to enhance the
discoverability of journal content on the HighWire platform as
well as across the AACR organization.  Leveraging Access
Innovations' proven experience and their highly effective
semantic tagging and indexing tools, the AACR will enable their
readers and members to make connections between and among related
information currently residing in disparate websites.

HighWire has actively supported semantic tagging for years using
a HighWire-developed taxonomy* and selected classification tools,
both within the HighWire Portal and on individual publication
sites.  "As part of our mission to work collaboratively with our
publishing partners, we have organized a Semantic Enrichment
Working Group," noted Kristen Fisher Ratan, Associate Director
for Strategic Development at HighWire. "Comprised of
HighWire-affiliated publishers, including the AACR, this group
gives them a unique opportunity to discuss possible use cases for
semantic enrichment and to make independent, informed decisions
about the semantic vendor they wish to engage. HighWire will be
proactively assisting publishers in implementing their semantics
solution of choice on their HighWire sites."

"We are thrilled to be working with Access Innovations to develop
an AACR taxonomy that can be applied to our content, and with
HighWire Press to allow us to present related articles across our
journals," said Diane Scott-Lichter, Publisher of the AACR suite
of journals.  "We expect to expand these efforts to include
semantic tagging of other AACR information such as meetings,
workshops, conferences, grants, job postings, podcasts, and
working groups as a second phase to this project. Making links
between related items will drive increased targeted serendipity,
providing improved access to the critical information users
need."

"Access Innovations has been growing and fine-tuning its Data
Harmony software line since 1997," noted Marjorie Hlava,
President, Chairman, and founder of Access Innovations, Inc. "We
are proud to be working with the AACR and its publications and
with HighWire's world class platform." The Access Innovations
suite of software products is composed of several modules,
designed to simplify the management of databases or text
collections, with support for editorial processes and to provide
significant semantic enrichment. Access Innovations' products
adhere to all NISO, ISO and W3C standards, including XML, and are
written in Java, providing platform independence for all users.

- - -

*The HighWire taxonomy was developed by subject matter experts
over many years. It contains over 50,000 nodes and is
particularly well-developed in the medical and life sciences
areas. The indexing rules dictate exactly how terms are assigned
to content. These rules represent significant intellectual
property for HighWire and could be utilized with other
classification tools. The semantic enrichment is stored by
HighWire and is available for publishers to experiment with or
use in whatever way is desired.

  --

Contact:
Bonnie Zavon