RE: Journal rejection and acceptance rates

Ken Masters" post raises some interesting issues that surround
the attractiveness of journals to authors. He phrases this in
terms of the rejection rates but I believe that we should
interpret these as an indicator (with qualification) of the
degree to which authors want (and believe it possible) to be
published within the journals concerned. The top journals in a
field often have very high rejection rates, perhaps as high as
95% plus. Publication in these titles often conveys tremendous
career opportunities: either it enhances the likelihood of tenure
(in the west) or provides significant salary enhancement (as seen
in China). The rewards of appearing far outweigh any effort
expended in submission, so both western and Chinese authors (who
know their contributions are borderline for the title to accept)
will nevertheless submit on the off chance, contributing to a
high rejection rate. In the case of authors with a poor grasp of
English but a good grasp of the promotional possibilities of
appearing in a top title, this can mean that papers are submitted
to titles even when out of scope, thereby enormously enhancing
the rejection rate. However such an analysis needs to be tempered
with recognition of the self-selecting nature of authorship. As a
publisher I used to have a journal that was at the very pinnacle
of its field, widely regarded by scholars as the definitive
outlet of the very best research with an impressive impact
factor, one in which only the truly great would dare to publish.
This title had a very low rejection rate (10%), not because it
was a poor journal or inadequately edited but because its author
base was extremely self-critical. Only the very top authors would
even consider attempting to submit.

There is a direct analogy with student applications to the top
schools. The best may indeed tend to attract more ultimately
unsuccessful candidates, but equally those top schools known to
be very difficult to get into may see a lower ratio as weaker
students decide not to chance it.

In short then, while high rejection rates often correlate with
perceived high quality, the reverse isn"t always necessarily the
case. The real measure here is actually journal attractiveness
tempered by author self-assessment.

Best, Michael

Michael A Mabe
Chief Executive Officer
International Association of STM Publishers
OXFORD, UK