Springer partners with CLOCKSS for its first e-book agreement

February 1, 2011

CLOCKSS is pleased to announce that it has partnered with
Springer Science+Business Media to preserve over 32,000 e-books
in CLOCKSS's geographically and geopolitically distributed
network of redundant archive nodes, located at 12 major research
libraries around the world.

A not-for-profit joint venture between the world's leading
scholarly publishers and research libraries CLOCKSS's mission is
to build a sustainable, geographically distributed dark archive
for the benefit of the greater global research community.

"All eBooks available in our eBook packages will be preserved in
the CLOCKSS archive," notes Heather Ruland Staines, Senior
Manager eOperations, who oversees Springer's participation in
digital preservation initiatives. "Because our eBook collections
are offered in an ownership model, we feel a particular
responsibility to ensuring their availability in perpetuity."

CLOCKSS Executive Director Randy S. Kiefer adds, "CLOCKSS
welcomes Springer Science+Business Media e-books into the
community's archive as our first e-book collection."

Springer Science+Business Media is a leading global scientific
publisher, publishing around 2,000 journals and more than 6,500
new books a year. It has the largest STM eBook Collection
worldwide, and is the largest business-to-business publisher in
the German language.

About CLOCKSS

CLOCKSS (Controlled LOCKSS) is a not-for-profit joint venture
between the world's leading scholarly publishers and research
libraries, whose mission is to build a sustainable,
geographically distributed dark archive with which to ensure the
long-term survival of Web-based scholarly publications for the
benefit of the greater global research community.
http://www.clockss.org

####