RE: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

It seems to me that Ivy Anderson makes some very reasonable
points but I would suggest that it is the "funding ebbs and
flows" that will represent a problem for any publisher. It was my
understanding that one of the advantages of the Big Deal for both
libraries and publishers was that it enabled planning ahead for
both parties. Those who invest in publishing whether they are
learned societies or commercial entities demand this sort of
planning ahead if they are to invest in the constant new
developments which the user population demands.

Can libraries really not plan ahead and if not why not? Surely
universities are planning ahead? Is it possible that libraries
have failed to convince the people in higher education who hold
the purse strings that there is more research being funded and
that this is likely (and does) lead to more published articles
and that they have to be paid for? I have a suspicion that, if
ARL graphs are anything to go by with their failure to relate
increase prices to increased number of articles, that ARL as an
organisation and many librarians have had their heads in the
sand.

Note - I am not suggesting that the Big Deal does not need to be
restructured. Who does not? Publishers respond to pressure from
authors who want to publish. The numbers of authors wanting to
publish goes up. I am of course assuming (but I would believe
rightly assuming) that these increased number of authors are
producing much the same percentage of good papers.

Anthony

Anthony Watkinson
University College London