Re: PDA Sales: (was: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank)

> Article-by-article purchasing, and chapter-by-chapter
> purchasing, are already available in the marketplace through
> such services as offered by the CCC.

True -- for many journals but not all of them, and not at prices
that can be sustained by a research library.  (And also, in many
cases, not with instant delivery.)

What needs to happen is something very much like the Big Deal,
except without up-front payment and with very low per-article
charges.  I realize that will sound unreasonable to journal
publishers whose business models are built on a longstanding
ability to sell massive amounts of material that their customers
don't actually want, but libraries simply don't have the ability
to buy that way anymore. Totally apart from the fundamental
ridiculousness of the model, the money is simply no longer there.

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
Univ. of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu