Re: PDA Sales

Toby Green's comment that if PDA is an alternative to book Big
Deals, why not for journal Big Deals, is entirely logical.

Having been one of the people who facilitated the birth of the
first Big Deal (1995, then IDEAL* - for the content, and APPEAL**
- for the business model), I remember that a move to
article-by-article PDA was one of the greatest existential
fears of many publishers (though perhaps not many would have
put it in that way). IDEAL/APPEAL was in part a way to prevent
PDA from happening. (The Big Deal, by the way, was also widely
feared and derided by many publishers - remember the fear of
monopsony? - though that fear didn't last longer than a few
years.)

The reason why PDA was feared is clear. A PDA system would
introduce a completely inappropriate element in the process of
deciding what should be published and what not. Unlike for books,
in journals it was, and should be, solely the scientific merit,
and not the commercial merit, and the decision should be entirely
the Editor's. (This is one reason why for most journals the
Editor is not an employee of the publisher, as he or she needs to
maintain an independent judgment, which might otherwise be
compromised.)

Apart from the fact that it is very difficult to predict
commercial success for individual articles, commercial success is
inevitably a short-term thing, and articles that are worth being
published from a scientific point of view, even though the
'market' may not yet be ripe for it, would often simply not be
published in a PDA system. PDA resembles a popularity contest,
and science shouldn't be popularity-led.

Article-by-article PDA would of course also be financially
devastating for publishers. Just bear in mind the articles that
are hardly read in the current system. How much less readership
they would have under PDA?

The open access model takes away all (or at least most) of these
concerns and drawbacks. If the service of publishing an article
is paid for, then, bluntly speaking, nobody other than the author
cares a toss if it is being read or not (though the absence of
access barriers probably means it's likely to be read - or at
least downloaded - more often than would otherwise have been the
case).

Jan Velterop

*International Desktop Electronic Access Library
**Academic Press Print and Electronic Access Licence