RE: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

Some of my colleagues make the same argument about Patron-driven
models (PDA) delaying purchasing.  This is a concern to vendors
as well as to publishers.  Though there is little direct data
yet, based on ebook approval plan data (and approval plan use in
libraries generally), I don't believe that PDA will cause any
delay.  We know that the vast majority of books acquired by a
library don't circulate.  In a recent study of an *ebook*
approval plan at an ARL library, about 900 titles were acquired
from roughly 75 publishers in 11 months, and most were acquired
in the last 6 months of the period.

Nearly 400 of the titles had already been accessed by the end of
the 11 months (with 1300 user sessions and 18,000 page views).
This far surpasses the circulation activity we would expect for a
similar sample of print titles acquired on approval. This
strongly suggests, to me at least, that if we make titles
available and discoverable, they will be used (libraries
experimenting with PDA also report that their catalogues are
being used far more than they thought).

With approvals, often electronic notification slips are sent in
lieu of the book because of profile parameters (for UPs in
general, about half their titles are acquired as auto-ship
approval books and the other half are ordered; for trade presses
the approval sales are lower).  So, for all those titles for
which slips are sent to the library, we must wait for a library
selector to review the slip (sometimes the same day it is issued,
sometimes once per quarter or once per year...) and hopefully
place an order.  The patron has little to no voice in the matter.

With PDA plans, a broader selection of bibliographic records
(generally based on a looser profile) go immediately to the
library catalogue making the content instantly discoverable.
And books that might never be selected by a collections librarian
(but still fall within the broad scope of a library profile) have
a chance to find a reader.  If the approval ebook use data are
any indication, more books are likely to have more use than they
would in the print world.  This does give rise to questions of
budget for libraries, but before we worry too much, we should
consider PDA as just another tool.  Approval book and
notification plans are important mechanisms, especially
considering that 80% of monograph content is still available only
in print at the time a title is published (in the academic
monograph vendor world) - and of the 20% available in e, only a
small portion is PDA-eligible.

A collections librarian and friend said to me recently, "I want
to support university presses, but if they cannot make their
content available to the library in the format our patrons need
when they need it, I'll have to prioritize other content."  I
think we've seen that happen already to some degree.  The UPeC
initiative is an effort to mitigate this, but that's another loaf
to slice.

Getting back to packages for a moment, it is also worth
considering that profiling, which underpins both approval plans
and PDA, can also be applied to packages of content (publisher
permitting) - an old tool for slicing new bread :-)

Michael Zeoli
YBP Library Services