RE: Derivative works?

Sandy Thatcher said:"If the contract had said that "no fair use
can be made from the content," you would not want to sign any
such contract!"

I'd say the majority of contracts I see right now attempt to
limit rights of use to those enumerated in the contract, in
effect gutting fair use or trumping it through contract language.
I always try to get in that fair use is one of accepted uses, but
many contracts start by assuming fair use is out of the question
and you have to add it back in. Having failed at getting fair use
out of the public sphere through copyright legislation and court
cases, many publishers are trying to limit use by contract
language.

Chuck Hamaker