Re: Author Copyright Issue (SLEEP)

Sure, if you have the funding to publish your journal OA, by all
means do so. If you want to recover costs from sales, however,
and want to stay in business, accepting nonexclusive licensing is
madness because you then have no way to defend yourself against
any infringement of the content you publish.

I'm not sure what Heather means when she says that ALPSP "moved
to nonexclusive licensing." I just prepared a book review for
ALPSP's Learned Publishing, and the contract I signed grants
"exclusive" rights to ALPSP.

CC licenses do permit users to do many things and, in this sense,
grant nonexclusive licenses for these activities to all users.

If we are going to educate people about these matters, we first
have to know what we are talking about!

Sandy Thatcher