Re: Derivative works?

Julie,

The term "Derivative Work" is actually defined in US Copyright
law.  Article 17 section 101 states:

A 'derivative work' is a work based upon one or more pre-existing
works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization,
fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art
reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in
which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work
consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or
other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work
of authorship, is a 'derivative work.'

Using a work in the typical scholarly research, papers, etc..
typically should not fall under this definition.  Of course, it
would be for the lawyers to sort out if a publisher felt that an
author has overstepped their bounds and created a derivative work
rahter than simply quoting or using the original material as a
source.

Jesse

Jesse Koennecke
Electronic Resources Librarian