Re: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

I find this comment rather astonishing:

>On whether there is a structural problem in the scholarly
>publishing market, and the likelihood that the research
>community might at some point no longer be able to afford to
>keep paying publishers' prices:
>
>"I don't believe there is a structural problem, and things will
>not fall apart. There are always countervailing forces. I don't
>believe that our pricing is a big problem, and I am sure that
>this market can carry on indefinitely. As I say, I accept that
>there was once a problem. But today, we can't give libraries
>access to any more journals because they already have access to
>all they could ever want."

I would be interesting in knowing whether there are ANY
librarians who would agree with this statement, and the one
earlier in the interview where Haank says: "The Big Deal is the
best invention since sliced bread."

I suppose a CEO is paid to be optimistic, though...

Sandy Thatcher