Go for tiered pricing and become a pariah - or not?

Learned Publishing - Issue 1 - 2011

>From the Editor:

Go for tiered pricing and become a pariah - or not

Want to switch to tiered pricing for your journal - perhaps
because you  think it's fairer, and even expand your market at
the 'low' end? Want to  get it totally wrong and bring down the
wrath of all, clog up the  listservs with complaints and maybe
lose significant revenue?Not that I'm suggesting that that's
happened recently, of course. But we  do have an article in our
latest issue that might just help you get it  right. Charlie
Rapple explains in detail, based on a real-life example,  all the
steps you have to take to help give you the best chance, at
least, of getting it right.

Your editor, in his normal iconoclastic fashion, manages to get
mention  of sex, or homosexuality, in his editorial on scholarly
communication.  He would have done it more, he says, but was
terrified in equal amounts  of being thought either homophobic or
too interested in the topic.We do get quite scholarly ourselves
in one paper, which reviews the  literature on the ethics of
'peer review'. If you look up 'peer review'  on the search
engines, you'll get thousands of apparently relevant  items, so
even finding out how Lawrence Souder from Drexel chose what to
review is interesting, and the whole 18-page paper with its 136
references should be something of a benchmark for those
interested in,  and researching on, this topic.

There's an awful lot in medical journals about how to deal with
research  on humans - but how do we do, as a publishing industry,
when it comes to  animals? Nikki Osborne, from the RSPCA, has
done some more research, and  finds us sadly lacking - have a
look at her findings.

David Nicholas and the CIBER people are back again, measuring
away as  usual - fascinating stuff - this time looking at two
years' use of  e-journals by researchers, and even suggesting
that some of the  traditional library role has moved away to, as
they call them, 'the new  librarians' - check out to see who(m)
they are talking about.

Cliff Morgan of Wiley has a nice and short piece just explaining
the  mysteries and complexities (in case you thought there
weren't any!) of  the Creative Commons Licence.

Eefke Smit tells us why all of us need to care more about
preservation  of data (broadly defined) and results from the
PARSE project -  otherwise, as she says, we might be in for a
'Digital Dark Age for  Data'.

And then we have book reviews, and a couple of comments on an
earlier  article just to give you, we hope, a compelling package.
Can you resist?  (all right, I know the answer to that - but
don't try - give in to  temptation).

Alan Singleton

Editor, Learned Publishing

editor@alpsp.org

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal
subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the
Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up
the  'ALPSP Author Choice' OA option, are now free to all.  If
you would like  to receive an email alert or RSS feed every time
a new issue goes  online, all you have to do is sign up at
http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access
it via  the ALPSP website:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/default.asp?ID=310  .  If you do
not have a username and password, please email  info@alpsp.org
SSP members should access through the SSP Member Center.

Janet H. Fisher
North American Editor, Learned Publishing
Publishers Communication Group
875 Massachusetts Ave., 7th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA