Problems With Transferring Journals: British Psych. Soc. Journals

Recently there was a concern raised regarding the transfer of
titles from publisher to publisher.  We understand how difficult
the transfer of titles between publishers can be for our
customers.  Our practice at Wiley has always been to make this as
smooth a transition as possible.  Wiley adheres to the TRANSFER
Code of Practice (http://www.uksg.org.uk/transfer/code). The
TRANSFER Code of Practice specifies the guidelines for the
sharing of subscriber data and the obligations regarding ongoing
access to content to be provided by the previous publisher during
the transition, and links to be placed on our respective
websites.  TRANSFER has launched a blog and a notice board where
all newly transferred titles will be announced.  As soon as we
receive the signed contract for a title we announce the title to
the librarians via this route.  The announcement goes to the
following lists:

Lis E-Resources
Serialst
Liblicense
SSP
ALPSP - discuss and alert
ASA newsletter
Serials E-News

Once these announcements are made, a number of things happen
behind the scenes that are not transparent to our customers:

-- Wiley will request a complete subscriber list and match this
information with the data in our fulfillment system. This enables
us to generate and send out renewal notices for the new titles to
all existing customers.  In addition, this will enable access to
content to those subscribers as soon as we are able, by contract,
to make the content available.

-- All subscription agents are notified as soon as possible of
the change of publishers to ensure that orders would be handled
efficiently and directed to the correct publisher.

-- Following the TRANSFER Code of Practice we also ask the
previous publisher to place a link to our title homepage from
their title homepage and to maintain customers' access to
previously published content for a minimum of 12 months after we
officially begin publishing the title.  Note: Archival access to
previously published content (per the existing agreements between
the publisher/customer) is the standard most publishers follow.
However, participation in TRANSFER is voluntary and not all
publishers are members so this linking many not always be
possible.

-- In addition to the above, we also announce all takeovers and
transfers out in our Price List, agent communications and
librarian newsletters from July, with updates sent in
September/October.  Finally, direct subscribers will be notified
of the change of publisher via their renewal notice/takeover
letter.

-- We begin digitizing content.

-- The link resolvers, including Serials Solutions, all receive
the new linking data so that they can update their collections
(or "targets" as they call them).

Regarding the transfer of the British Psychological titles
specifically, I can confirm the following time line:

-- Press releases were sent out in August and listservs notified.

-- Wiley received a complete subscriber list from Ingenta and
loaded this information into our fulfillment system by September
15, 2010.  This enabled us to generate and send out renewal
notices for these titles to all existing customers.  In addition,
this will enable access to 2010 content to those subscribers as
soon as we are able, by contract, to make the content available,
which is January 1, 2011.

-- All subscription agents were notified in August of the change
of publishers to ensure that orders would be handled efficiently
and directed to the correct publisher.

-- We began digitizing content.  We are in the processes of
digitizing all content from 1999 - 2010 which will be live on the
Wiley Online Library as of January 1st, 2011.  In fact, some
content is already being loaded now.  Customers who renew their
subscriptions for 2011 will receive access back to the previous
five years of content.  Enhanced license customers who renew
their subscriptions for 2011 will receive access to all titles
from 1999 to the present.

-- The link resolvers, including Serials Solutions, all received
the 2011 linking data in the first week of December.  The new
KBART format means that it's much easier for them to update their
collections and we have no reason to think it won't be ready for
January 1.

-- We contacted CrossRef to update their records.  There were DOI
errors with a small number of articles. CrossRef have updated
their records, the linking should all be working fine.

We understand that, with the holidays, it may be difficult for
customers to update links and verify access.  As a result, we
have arranged with Ingenta for them to continue to host content
through the end of January.  This will give our customers
adequate time to update their OPACs and web sites to point users
to the Wiley  Online Library.

In addition, I am happy to announce that Wiley has committed to
digitizing the pre-1999 volumes for all 11 BPS titles.  This
content has never been available online previously and will give
our customers access to a wide range of high quality articles
charting developments in psychological thinking over a number of
years  across the full spectrum of psychological sub-disciplines
We expect these back volumes to be available towards the end of
2011.

We welcome any suggestions on how to improve the process of
transferring titles and are happy to work with our customers and
the TRANSFER group to make this process work better.

Jane F White
Director, Global Sales Support and Renewals
John Wiley & Sons, In.c