Re: Does Dramatic Growth of DOAJ Signal Success or Market Dysfunction?

One issue here is the word "dramatic," which seems to me to be a
classic case of begging the question. It's been 10 years since
BioMed Central pioneered (so they claim on their web site) the
gold OA journal business. If the latest Bjork study is credible,
less than 10% of the articles published annually are gold OA
(this includes delayed and partial or hybrid OA articles--gold or
DOAJ OA articles represent about 6% of the total annual article
output). That's an average of less than 1% growth per year. Can
this credibly be called "dramatic"?

Ted Freeman