Re: Prosser on Davis

Joe

We all have our biases, mine are certainly pro-OA.  It doesn't
hurt to acknowledge these.

I do read Phil's posts.  My favourite example of bad-news
spinning is:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2009/09/22/plos-releases-article-level-usage-data/:

'A cynic may read PLoS's move to provide article-level
indicators a preemptive move in advance of being given its first
impact factor score for PLoS ONE, a journal with different
editorial goals than its flagship journals.  Understanding that
authors are infatuated with journal impact factors, PLoS may be
positioning itself to counter its first low score for PLoS ONE,
emphasizing readership, bookmarking, and blogging data over
citations.'

Shortly followed, when it was announced that PLOS ONE didn't have
a low impact factor, by:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/06/21/plosone-impact-factor-blessing-or-a-curse/
PLoS ONE: Is a High Impact Factor a Blessing or a Curse?

As a parlour game, one could try to calculate the exact impact
factor for PLOS One that was not bad news.

David