Re: Terms subject to change

> Seems to me that a contract that can be modified at will by one
> party isn't much of a contract.

I'd say you're right, and in fact I'm not sure terms such as
those you described in the default language would even be legally
enforceable if it came down to that.  However, if I were you I
wouldn't take any chances -- I would walk away from a purchase
rather than sign a license that doesn't bind both parties to a
defined set of performances.  I'm frankly amazed that a major
publisher would insist on such language; I've encountered
unilateral-alteration terms more than once, but I can't think of
a single time that the publisher insisted on keeping it after its
ridiculousness was pointed out.

Just my $.02,

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
Univ. of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu