Does Dramatic Growth of DOAJ Signal Success or Market Dysfunction?

Thanks to Phil Davis for welcome discussion on the dramatic
growth of open access. In brief, yes, the dramatic growth of DOAJ
journals does mean success, and is no doubt inspired by a
dysfunctional scholarly publishing market.

As a bit more detail:  if there is anything more amazing that the
dramatic growth of open access, it is that this growth has taken
place with so little economic support. Like Phil, I think that
the best measure of gold OA growth would the number of articles
published. As the DOAJ search by article service grows, this may
become feasible as a metric in the near future. One point where I
differ from Phil is that I think the number of titles is
important per se, regardless of the number of articles published,
as this is a measure of infrastructure for OA - not only
accomplished growth, but potential future growth. Behind every
one of these journals, for example, is a publishing service -
often a new publishing service provided by a library, and many of
these could easily grow with a little support. This is one of the
reasons I highly recommend that libraries consider joining the
Compact on Open Access Publishing Equity (COPE). From my
perspective, the economic target for open access publishing
should be high quality, fully open access publishing that is
economically sustainable and/or cost effective.

For my detailed response to Phil's critique of my Dramatic Growth
of Open Access Dec. 11 issue, please see The Imaginary Journal of
Poetic Economics, at:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2010/12/dramatic-growth-of-open-access-dec-11.html

best,

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctor Candidate, SFU School of Communication