ALA Mid-Winter: ALCTS CRS E-Resources Interest Group

The ALCTS Continuing Resources Section, Electronic Resources
Interest Group (ERIG) invites you to join us on Saturday, January
8th 2011 from 10:30 a.m. - noon in Room 31B of the San Diego
Convention Center for presentations and discussion of the topic:

Electronic Resources Management as a Public Service: Delivering
quality content at the right time, in the right places

Donna Scanlon, Electronic Resources Coordinator, Library of
Congress, "The Long Road to ERM: Are we there yet?"
The Library of Congress Electronic Resource Online Catalog
recently became available to the public.  The implementation of
our ERM has involved many different stakeholders within the
Library's various units and has resulted in new workflows, new
staff, and a new catalog for user access.  This presentation will
share our evolution,  how our workflows have changed, plans for
assessing the user experience, and our new interface using
Innovative Interface's WebPac Pro.

Athena Hoeppner, Electronic Resources Librarian, and Ying Zhang
Acquisitions Librarian, University of Central Florida Libraries,
"eResource Access Support: Go Team!"

The eSupport Team was created by the University of Central
Florida Libraries to address a growing gap between the increasing
number of e-resources and the staffing committed to support
access.  The presenters will share their experience of organizing
and training a multi-departmental team, developing a workflow,
and implementing systems to track and support rapid problem
resolution.

The UCF Libraries spends over 60% of the materials budget on
subscribing to or purchasing 400 databases and tens of thousands
of e-books and e-journals to serve the 56,000 students and
faculty. Until recently, the Electronic Resource Librarian was
the final (and often sole) point of contact for all electronic
resources problems, ranging from subscription status, the proxy,
OpenURL resolver, bibliographic records, the web site, and campus
network.

With the new eSupport Team, librarians and staff from Technical
Services, Public Services and Systems share the roles of
receiving, investigating and resolving e-resource problems.
Patrons can report problems via email, chat, phone, and web
forms. Team members monitor these inputs and enter reports into a
centralized ticketing system.  The system coordinates the
workflow as Team members troubleshoot the problem, and sends
status updates to the patron. The system will ultimately generate
a searchable knowledge base. The eSupport Team strives to meet
defined service standards and benchmarks, and expects fast
problem resolution, higher user satisfaction, and a greater
return on investment for our strapped e-resources materials
budget.

Elizabeth Babbitt, Electronic Resources Librarian, Montana State
University, "Right Here, Right Now - Using a Discussion Forum to
Resolve Electronic Resource Access Issues"

Reducing frustration for users is an important part of an
Electronic Resource Librarian's job. At Montana State University,
we use an Intranet discussion forum to facilitate communication
between the Reference Desk and the Electronic Resources Librarian
to ensure prompt resolution to access problems, notification of
database downtime and most recently, vagaries with our new Web
Discovery Tool. The presenter works as the Electronic Resources
Librarian but also serves on the Reference Desk 2.5 hours a week.
She will share her experiences using this system both from the
Collection Development/Technical Services side of the library and
the Public Services side.

The intranet discussion board we use is a web application
available as freeware that can be easily implemented by libraries
of any size.

Andrew McLetchie, Senior Data Analyst, ITHAKA/JSTOR, "Business
Analytics & Intelligence: Leveraging Data to Enhance User
Experience".

Andrew McLetchie, Senior Data Analyst at ITHAKA, will discuss the
impact of business analytics on data-driven decision making for
the JSTOR platform. A deeper analysis of platform activity data
is helping to inform the development of features and services.
The presentation will outline the JSTOR data landscape, data
challenges, case studies of successes, and directions for future
data infrastructure development.  In particular, Mr. McLetchie
will demonstrate how examining turnaway statistics (i.e., data on
unfulfilled requests for content not currently licensed by an
institution) can provide a valuable, impactful asset to
librarians making collection development decisions.

These presentations will be followed by panelist/audience
discussion.

Christine Turner
Chair, ALCTS CRS ERIG
cturner@library.umass.edu