ALPSP INTRODUCTION TO JOURNALS MARKETING, March, London

Highly interactive, small group tuition (max 20 delegates).
Places still available but please note that this course is
booking up fast:

Introduction to Journals Marketing.
Thursday 3 March 2011, London

Delegate comments:

'Good to hear different people's journal experiences. Great
interaction with whole class and Rachel.' Sara Eve, Springer,
Biomed Central

'I'm coming away with a lot of action points and information
which I will be able to use. I felt confident that the tutor new
the subject really well and moved feely between prepared content
and issues that arose on the day.' Pathika Martin, Elsevier

'Vast amounts of new information which I hope to be able to apply
to our marketing efforts. Very helpful and interesting.' Rick
Lewis, Anja Publications Ltd

'Came at it as a beginner, felt stretched, good' Matt Broadhead,
European Respiratory Society

'Pitched at all levels - very good. Really useful for me and
interesting too.' Clare Hooper, Liverpool University Press

'Very full course; really appreciated extra follow-up material
included with packs.' Alison Darnforth, British Sociological
Association

'Very useful insight into marketing techniques.' Joanna Harries,
The Royal Society 'A good general introduction which sparked some
new ideas for me to implement.' Suzanne Abbott, The Royal Society

'Everything clear and concise with more indepth information to
take away and read. Really useful and interesting discussions
generated.' Emma Barnes, Earthscan

'Very rich explanations and relevant practice.' Sebastien Riault,
Armand Colin

'A good step by step buide to the world of journals marketing.
Really excellent delivery from the course tutor.' Iain Tessier,
Emerald Group Publishing.

'Really relevant to everything I do on a daily basis.' Alison
Holgate,Maney Publishing

'Good discussion where delegates could share experiences and
examples', R. Allison, OUP

Overview:

This course provides an introduction to the changing and
challenging role of promoting journals in today's market.
Expectations of editorial boards can be high, and marketing staff
need to be able to produce a plan, which is impressive to
editors, delivers dddd and is achievable. Delegates will discuss
a variety of promotional ideas and put them to the test by
working on a case study.

Programme

--The changing market for journals - overview of how libraries,
subscription agents, academics and publishers interact and the
latest market trends
--Marketing plans - key stages of planning and implementing a
promotional plan (setting objectives, identifying the market and
appropriate strategies)  --The marketing toolkit - what is
available and when to use it (direct mail, email, web,
conferences, advertising, etc)
--Monitoring results and how to measure success Learning
Objectives - by the end of the course delegates will be able to:

Understand how the marketing mix works most effectively in
journals marketing; review and discuss hot topics affecting
journals publishing and marketing today; understand the benefits
of a good marketing plan, both for sound decision-making and
personal time management; develop confidence in working more
proactively with in-house and external editors; and apply this in
a practical planning case study exercise with other participants.

Who should attend:

Those with new responsibility for marketing journals, whether in
a large publishing house where journals are only part of the
activity, or a small association publishing primarily for its
membership. The contemporary nature of the course also makes it
an excellent refresher on best practice in promoting journals
today.

Further information at
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334919

Other 2011 Courses:
Effective Journals Marketing:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334938
Getting the Most from Journal Publicity:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335248
Creating High Impact Marketing:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=335357
Web 2.0: Online communities and social media:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334898
Project Management for Publishing:
http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=334913

Barbara Holmes
Training Administrator
Email: trainingadmin@alpsp.org
Tel: +44 (0) 1993 772 727

ALPSP courses

Introduction to Journals Publishing, London, 9 December
Web 2.0: Online communities and social media, London, 10 January
Project Management for Publishing, Oxford, 17 February
Introduction to Journals Marketing, London, 3 March
Strategic Journals Finance, London, 17 March
Launching Open Access Journals, London, 29 March (NEW COURSE)
The Journal Editorial Office, London, 18 May
Citation Analysis for Publishers, London, 26th May