Trine U. School Requires E-Textbooks for Entire Curriculum

Digital text books need to fix a couple Achilles' heel problems
before they can be popular:

1. The price has to be at paper's 1/3 or less.  Most paper text
books can be re-sold, at campus bookstore, at online places such
as Amazon, or even re-sold to school mates.  Buying a used book
and then selling it after use will re-cover even more original
cost.  Cost of digital books is not recoverable.  So even at half
price, digital books are actually more expensive.  I would say
one third of the paper cost would be a reasonable price for
digital text books, even though I must say that the prices of
most text books are extremely unreasonable.

2. Expiration of digital book access.  Sometimes, students need
to keep the books beyond the expiration date for related classes
or future tests.

Xiaotian Chen
Bradley University Library

****