LexisNexis and ProQuest

Of possible interest to liblicense-l readers, at least to those
in large research libraries.

November 30, 2010
From: LexisNexis Academic

To sharpen our focus on our core news, business, and legal
research products, we at LexisNexis Academic & Library Solutions
decided to divest several specialized research products,
primarily covering government documents and historical
collections. As a result, on November 30, 2010, the ProQuest
company purchased print and microform publications bearing the
Congressional Information Service (CIS) and University
Publications of America (UPA) imprints, as well as related online
products from Reed Elsevier, the parent company of LexisNexis.
LexisNexis will continue to serve academic institutions and
public libraries with our LexisNexis Academic, Scholastic, and
Library Express online database solutions, and we will continue
to support the administrative functions of academic institutions
and public libraries with our professional research solutions.

Enclosed are frequently asked questions that we anticipate our
customers may have regarding this sale. While we have attempted
to anticipate all of the questions our customers may have, there
will no doubt be a few that we have missed. If you would like any
further information or have any additional questions, please call
1-800-227-9597 x57645 to be connected to your Account Manager. In
addition, you can review the list of Account Managers for each
state on our wiki at:
http://wiki.lexisnexis.com/academic/index.php?title=Academic.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AROUND SALE OF CIS AND UPA PRODUCT
LINES FROM LEXISNEXIS TO PROQUEST

#Which products has LexisNexis sold to ProQuest?

LexisNexis has sold the following products to ProQuest:

*All CIS microform and print collections, including CIS Index,
SRI, and IIS

*All UPA microform and print collections

*LexisNexis Congressional online database, including Statutes at
Large, Congressional Hearings Digital Collection, Congressional
Record Permanent Digital Collection, Congressional Research
Digital Collection, US Serial Set Digital Collection, and US
Serial Set Maps Collection

*LexisNexis Statistical Insight online database, including
Statistical DataSets

*LexisNexis Government Periodical Index online database

*LexisNexis Primary Sources in US History online database

#Is LexisNexis exiting the academic and public library markets?

No - LexisNexis is retaining its flagship products for academic
researchers and public library patrons:

*LexisNexis Academic

*LexisNexis Library Express

*LexisNexis Scholastic

*LexisNexis State Capital

LexisNexis will also continue to provide solutions for the
administrative, fundraising, and legal offices of academic
institutions and public libraries, including:

*LexisNexis for Development Professionals

*Lexis.com

*Nexis.com

*TotalPatent

*TimeMatters

#How will international sales of these products be handled?

ProQuest has purchased the CIS and UPA products and the rights to
sell them in all markets, including internationally. LexisNexis
will continue to sell the products it has retained both
domestically and internationally.

#Why did LexisNexis sell the CIS and UPA product lines?

The sale was made as part of a LexisNexis effort to align its
Academic & Library Solutions products, services, and content
around its core mission of providing advanced solutions for
legal, news, and business research and information management.
The specialized content of CIS and UPA does not support this
mission, so the decision was made to divest them. We firmly
believe that the academic researchers who rely on LRS products
will be well served in the future by ProQuest, which has an
outstanding reputation for its academic research databases.

#What happens to the employees of LexisNexis Academic & Library
Solutions?

ProQuest has extended offers of employment to all the employees
of LexisNexis Academic & Library Solutions who spent the majority
of their time focusing on the CIS and UPA product lines,
including the field account representatives and the Sales Support
team. LexisNexis is retaining those employees who spent the
majority of their time focused on the academic and library
products it is retaining, including the sales team and the
product management team.

#Is my sales representative changing?

Not for US customers. For the foreseeable future, we plan to keep
account assignments unchanged across both LexisNexis and ProQuest
products. For international customers, ProQuest representatives
will be assigned to international accounts for CIS/UPA products,
and they will be contacting you in the near future to introduce
themselves and begin to understand your needs and how they may
assist you.

#Whom do I call for technical support for CIS/UPA products?

Support for online product remains unchanged for now. You should
contact the LexisNexis Academic & Library Solutions Web
Subscription team for all issues related to your online
subscriptions, such as access problems and IP changes.  They can
be reached at academicsupport@lexisnexis.com.

Librarians and faculty can continue to use the 24-hour customer
support line at 800-897-3419 for Tech support or questions about
product content and search strategies.

Questions related to CIS and UPA print or microform products
should continue to go to the Sales Support team at

#Whom do I call for billing or fulfillment questions for CIS/UPA
products?

Please contact the Sales Support team in Bethesda, MD by calling
1-800-638-8380 or sending an email to academicinfo@lexisnexis.com
for product questions and billing issues.

#How will my invoices change as a result of this sale?

LexisNexis is continuing to provide billing for the CIS/UPA
products under its systems for a period of time to allow for a
smooth transition. Going forward, if you purchase a ProQuest
product and a LexisNexis product (i.e. Congressional and LN
Academic) you will receive two invoices. When ProQuest
transitions billing and fulfillment of the CIS/UPA products to
its systems, a customer communication will be distributed, and
you will have ample time to assess the impact on your
institution's accounts payable processes

#Whom do I call for any other questions?

You may call 1-800-227-9597 x57645 to be connected to your
Account Manager.

Or, you can review the list of Account Managers for each state on
our wiki at:

http://wiki.lexisnexis.com/academic/index.php?title=Academic

Regards,

Jude T. Hayes